Monday, March 26, 2012

Honest Estimates

A deafening noise and sudden jerk is all I remember.
I was sitting at a red light in my prized red pickup waiting for the green signal. That’s when it happened. As I raised myself from the seat, I noticed my truck on the wrong side of the road heading the wrong direction. Fortunately no vehicles were coming. It took a few minutes to piece together the details-someone ran a red light, striking the car beside me who in turn hit me.
The entire right side of my beautiful truck was scraped and dented. Repair required two estimates for the insurance company. Knowing a local body shop manager ensured an honest estimate and fantastic repair job. Some body shops think too highly of their services or have steep overheads leading to higher estimates and loss of business.
Honest estimates are important as Paul notes; Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. (Romans 12:3)A higher than normal estimate results in pride: in who we are, what we have or what we can achieve. It’s dangerous, sinful and usually invites God’s intervention. Too insignificant an estimate is equally dangerous and can be the product of derogatory and abusive messages from parents, teachers, spouses and peers, leading to physical, emotional and spiritual dilemmas. 
What’s needed are honest estimates. What others think is not always important. God’s estimate is essential and encouraging. I’m his forgiven child. The slate is wiped clean of every offense I’ve ever committed-past, present and future. I’m no longer under condemnation but live vibrantly knowing nothing can separate me from his love. He’s placed me in the position of “just as if I never sinned.”
Most importantly, my eternity is secure and populated with everyone who has made the same decision to estimate themselves honestly. Don’t fear asking for God’s estimate.
Prayer: When we’re tempted to think less of ourselves than You proclaim, enable us Holy Spirit to estimate our worth correctly.

You can have these devotions delivered to your email. Just enter your address on the blog sidebar and click submit.

No comments:

Post a Comment