Saturday, May 19, 2012

God’s Cover by Martin Wiles

Even if it only covered a small portion of my chest, I had to have it.

My maternal grandmother lived in an old farm house void of central air and heat. By the time I arrived in the world, the fireplaces were covered and replaced with gas heaters. No air conditioner appeared until after my grandfather died and then only a small window unit.

Sleeping in the hot humid atmosphere of a South Carolina summer is a challenge in an air conditioned house and particularly one that’s not. Since I can’t sleep without some vestige of cover, it was especially difficult for me to sleep when visiting. Add mosquitoes hovering around my head and singing in my ear and sleep was almost impossible.

My grandmother sprayed the window screens with repellant, turned on a prehistoric oscillating fan, and tucked me in for a restless night. The heat tempted me to throw off all cover, but I maintained a sliver for security.

Peter mentions a different type of cover; although one more essential and comforting. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. (I Peter 4:8)

Unlike cover draping only a portion of my body, God’s love demonstrated in Christ’s sacrifice on the cross covers sins completely. All that remains is accepting his love. When I do, complete forgiveness occurs, judgment is averted and eternal life is assured.

God’s security blanket provides warmth presently and eternally, assuring us what he freely gives he won’t remove. Regardless of how often Satan hovers nearby trying to convince us we’re too rotten for God’s forgiveness, his lie is always covered by God’s truth. And spreading God’s cover over others multiplies forgiveness’ impact. Are you covered? If so, cover someone else.

Prayer: Thank you merciful Father that Your love covers a multitude of sins.

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine sleeping without air-conditioning in the south. I know because I live in the South and don't relish our summers. Nice post on our covering being the love of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this metaphor, Martin (but I can't imagine sleeping in the sticky, humid south with no air conditioning. When we first moved to Nebraska I marveled that all the houses we looked at before purchasing had central air...having weathered 10 years of summers here, now I know why!).

    ReplyDelete