Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Wanting It Now by Martin Wiles

Series: Psalm 23 for the 21 st Century
I’ve had one as long as I can remember. Usually more than one.  Wants.

I want a new car. One with less miles and a lower monthly payment. I’d like my own home. A place I paid for that no one could take from me. In the mountains where I could walk outside and see God’s beauty rolling across the mountaintops. I’d also like perfect kids, a decent paying job, good health, a nice investment portfolio, a retirement nest egg and one each of the latest tech devices.

Looking over the list, I realize I’m still in want. But the psalmist says if God is my shepherd, I won’t want. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want (Psalm 23:1 KJV).

Modern Bible versions more clearly translate the Hebrew word chacer, which means to lack or be lacking. The Lord is my shepherd, I have everything I need (NLT).

And that’s the idea. David provided everything his sheep needed. They may have wanted to eat in dangerous places or drink from polluted water, but he wouldn’t allow it. As a sheep, David’s shepherd gave him everything he needed. He lacked nothing.

I have no doubt I’ll die with wants but not needs. I’ve always had everything required to survive and accomplish God’s plan-and I always will. God promises this to every sheep.

Learning the difference between wants and needs-and what God promises about each, makes for a happier and more focused life. It also prevents anger at God when he doesn’t give everything we think we need. God is a loving shepherd who knows us intimately. Worry, anxiety and fear over things or our future shouldn’t consume our attention. Let God teach you to live with a “no lack” frame of mind.

Prayer: Father, teach us to trust You for every need.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for fleshing out the analogy with the shepherd. I've never really thought about it that way. Also love the NLV translation of "having everything I need".

    Thanks for sharing,
    Mary Beth
    newlifesteward.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, true, Martin. So often I think I deserve the wants, not the needs. Thanks for sharing on B&BB. I pray you're having your needs and some of your wants met as you transition.

    ReplyDelete