Friday, August 10, 2012

Pressured To Expose by Martin Wiles

Series: Perfected By Pressure
I hated it but couldn’t afford the monthly cost to eliminate it.

Unless you’re subscribed to satellite radio, you’re familiar with static. Driving around town isn’t normally a problem, but road trips are different. Just when I’ve found the perfect station playing my favorite songs, static creeps in. At first, it’s not so noticeable, but the farther I travel the worse it gets. Before long, I can barely determine what song is playing and eventually I lose the station entirely.

Sin produces static and invites God’s discipline which is his attention getting pressure. Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me. My strength evaporated like water…. Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt (Psalm 32:4-5 NLT).

David wasn’t a stranger to sin. His “man after God’s own heart” mentality didn’t keep him from fowl ups; some were major blunders. Like the time he had an affair, then murdered the woman’s husband to cover his sin. God pressured him with discipline until he confessed.

Discipline is God’s pressure applied by his Holy Spirit. It’s designed not so much to inflict pain-though it does, as it is to help us see the light, encourage us to confess our sin and motivate us to get back on track. God’s discipline comes because he loves us, has a plan for our life and wants us to enjoy his best. His discipline is designed to help us uncover what we’re attempting to hide. When we “fess up,” God’s station comes in much clearer.

Are sinful thoughts or behaviors holding you back from enjoying God’s best?

Prayer: Thank You merciful Lord for loving us enough to discipline us when the static of sin is hindering our spiritual journey with You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment