Saturday, September 29, 2012

Spiritual Better Than Physical by Martin Wiles

Series: Living Life To The Fullest

At 6’ 4,” 200 pounds, his nickname was appropriate.
James George Janos-a.k.a. Jessie “The Body” Ventura, was a professional wrestler from 1975 to 1986. He took the stage name to match his “bleach blonde from California” character and also to coincide with his villainous role. But his impressive physique couldn’t shield him from blood clots in his lungs that ended his in-ring career.

I admit it. My shape may be somewhat affected by my sweet tooth and occasional enjoyment of junk food, but my eating and exercise habits are overall healthy. While I don’t run five miles a day or spend hours at the “Y,” neither am I a couch potato. 

Our bodies are God’s creations. I’ve not always been overly pleased with my body’s shape, but God didn’t consult me when he engineered it. I can minimally alter it by exercise and healthy eating, but I can also shorten its lifespan by a lack thereof. While physical health is important, spiritual health is more so. Paul says, Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you (I Corinthians 6:19)?

We can sport impressive physical figures and have deteriorating spiritual builds. Spiritual disciplines keep us in excellent spiritual shape just as exercise and healthy eating keep us physically fit. Healthy doses of prayer, Bible reading and meditation, corporate worship and regular contact with other believers keep us spiritually robust. Physical beauty doesn’t seep below our skin’s surface, but spiritual excellence goes to the soul. While poor health can signal sinful choices, it’s possible to be genetically unhealthy and spiritually vigorous. Live a full life by maintaining a healthy physical body, but pay even more attention to your spiritual frame.

Prayer: Remind us Lord Jesus that enemies of our bodies are enemies of our potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment