Thursday, October 25, 2012

Accepting God’s Will-Regardless by Martin Wiles

I watched curiously as the odd fellow snatched the belt dangling from my robe and bound his hands and feet with it. Was he destitute, or was there some purpose in his queer actions?

God saved me from the clutches of empty religion and commissioned me as a missionary. While on my third missionary journey, my companions and I visited the town of Caesarea and lodged with a local deacon and his four unmarried daughters. While here, this curious man with a strange name-Agabus, performed his belt-grabbing feat and gave me a warning, So shall the owner of this belt be bound by the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem and turned over to the Romans (v.11 NLT).

I didn’t doubt the possibility of his warning. Most of the Jewish authorities didn’t care to hear about Jesus being the Messiah or their responsibility for killing him. I simply wanted to obey God’s will regardless. Then Paul answered, “Why are you weeping and breaking my heart? I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus” (Acts 21:13). So I went to Jerusalem. And the frenzied prophet’s warning materialized.

When God changed Paul’s heart, he did so radically. As long as he was obeying God’s directive, he forged ahead regardless of the consequences.  Accepting God’s will isn’t about obstinate actions or martyr complexes. Paul appeared to possess both but had neither. He was simply determined.

God’s Word contains his general requirements for everyone. His specific will is found there also but only revealed when we ask for it and confess our willingness to follow it regardless of the cost. Only as we obey can we reach the pinnacle of personal satisfaction. Are you ready to follow God’s personal agenda regardless of the cost?

Prayer: Savior, give us courage to ask for Your will and then obey it.


1 comment:

  1. "His specific will is found there also but only revealed when we ask for it and confess our willingness to follow it regardless of the cost." So true, Martin. I am continually amazed at God's willingness to speak personally to us if we are intentional about hearing his voice. What a privilege! Thanks for today's post.

    ReplyDelete