Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Principles Worth Pursuing-Honoring God With Finances by Martin Wiles

Series: Principles Worth Pursuing

Her text simply said, “Call me.” What she said added more grief to my already hectic day.

Our adult daughter has shared our cellular phone plan for a number of years on the condition she pays her portion. Having been unemployed for a few months, her bank account was busted. She couldn’t pay, and neither could we. We had no choice but to suspend her line.

Stuck with her portion of the bill-and a depleted bank account, I cringed when my wife blurted, “If we don’t pay by midnight, they’ll disconnect our service.” I fretted and prayed.  God’s answer appeared in the form of a $100 bill stuffed in my wife’s pocketbook along with a note that read, “Because I love you and you’re my best friend.” Once again, we learned to trust God with our finances.

Through the prophet Malachi, God instructed his people to do the same. “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse…and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven (Malachi 3:10).”

Our expenses make us want to keep 100 percent of our income; our faith prompts us to give a portion to God and to use it all in ways that honor him. I tried the first way and quickly discovered I have more when I give a percentage to God. Giving when we don’t have enough to begin with doesn’t calculate mathematically to us or others, but when they question us we simply tell them the stories about the numerous 100 dollar bills that have been stuffed in our hands by strangers and friends. Honor God with your finances, and he’ll reward you by meeting your needs.

Prayer: Accept our prayer, O Lord, and stretch our faith so we’ll trust You with our finances and give to You liberally.

4 comments:

  1. A hard but true lesson. There have been some times in our lives that we did not honor what God has asked of us... and then a car repair bill, an unexpected dr visit, etc.... He will bless our obedience. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen...you can never outgive God...His giving back to us will always trump our giving to Him!...blessings ...your new follower...Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finances is a tough one in a marriage. Thanks for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete