Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Excellent Productivity by Martin Wiles

Series: Living a Life of Excellence

Though I’d sworn I’d never work in a place like this again, I went because I had to not because I wanted to.

Textile mills aren’t my forte…especially weave rooms. I’d tried it and didn’t like it. The walls felt as if they would close in, there were no windows, and the noise was almost unbearable. But here I was-ushered to my “set” of looms, instructed on how to keep them running, and told to get busy. I was also introduced to something I’d never experienced before: production. The better my looms performed, the more valuable I was as an employee. For four years, I slaved at productivity…and hated every minute of it.

But my attitude about producing for Christ should be radically different. The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ (II Peter 1:8 NLT).

Productivity is tied to connection. I couldn’t achieve production by leaving my looms unattended. Only by staying on the job could I observe when a loom stopped, determine the reason why, and fix it. A faith relationship with Jesus Christ is the connection required for spiritual productivity.

Productivity also requires nurturing. Keeping a loom running consistently requires frequent inspection and removal of what normally causes them to stop. Learning to trust God in all circumstances, removing myself from tempting situations, and regular inspection of his Word nurtures my relationship.

Continuing the connection is a further requirement for productivity. Jesus says if we endure to the end we’ll be saved (Matthew 24:13). Eight hours in a weave seemed like an eternity, but I was only paid if I endured. Spiritual persistence leads to fruitful productivity.

If you’re feeling a little spiritually unproductive, check your connection. Perhaps a little nurturing is needed.

Prayer: Merciful Father, as You produced salvation for us, so we desire to produce spiritual fruit for You. Enable us to live a productive life of excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment