Saturday, May 18, 2013

Watched by God by Martin Wiles

Winding the watch strapped around my wrist is a thing of the past. A battery now keeps it ticking for several years with no need for my involvement. Touching it is only necessary twice a year when we enter or exit Daylight Savings Time.

Deism is a theological position that was held by many of America’s early leaders. Though referred to as atheists by more traditional Christians, deists rejected atheism. But they did have a different view of God. Deists imagined him as the universe’s master clock-winder. He cranked up the universe in the beginning and is now sitting idly by watching it peter down.

Seems like a pessimistic position…and it’s certainly not biblical. Now go and call together all the elders of Israel. Tell them…I have been watching closely, and I see how the Egyptians are treating you (Exodus 3:16 NLT).

Though God engineered the Israelites initial voyage into Egypt, he certainly wasn’t oblivious to the taxing slavery they were presently enduring. He saw…and he intervened. Just as my spring wound watches wouldn’t run without daily involvement, so this world won’t either without God’s touch. He established the laws of nature that keep it functioning, but it takes his daily finger caressing the stem.

But God’s involvement extends beyond the big things to the little pieces of my insignificant life. Confidence of this is what gives me strength to face each day and all it might generate. Knowing God gives me power to face daily tests keeps me putting one foot in front of the other. Realizing his hand is in all the details of my life-large and small, encourages me to keep keeping on in spite of difficulties and daily challenges.

Let the reality that you are watched by God give you a different perspective on life.

Prayer: Thank You Father for noticing every detail of our lives and for giving us power to overcome whatever wobbles down our path.

My PhotoThanks for stopping by. Why not try one of our delicious recipes along with this daily dose of encouragement?

1 comment: