Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Finishing Well by Martin Wiles

I know the day of mine is getting closer. All the tell tale signs are appearing: hearing loss, poor eyesight, creaking joints, less energy, hair growing in odd places, hair falling from normal places, taste buds changing.

Most people avoid discussing death. But in my experience with the aged, I find that the older they get the less they avoid the subject. Bodies are tired and not functioning as they should. There is a yearning to be at home with their Lord. My grandfather eagerly raised his hands to heaven prior to his death and said, “I’m going home.”

I suppose Moses was ready as well. He had spent years tending flocks on the backside of a desert and more years leading an obstinate lot of people through the wilderness to the Promised Land. But he finished well. Moses was 120 years old when he died, yet his eyesight was clear, and he was as strong as ever (Deuteronomy 34:7 NLT).

When my time comes, I want to finish well…and I can. Messages encouraging us to eat right and exercise continually bombard us. Great advice…and it can extend our lives, but some die while they’re exercising. While I attempt to maintain good physical health, I’m more concerned about my spiritual health. This is the main factor involved in finishing well and being greeted at heaven’s gate with, “Well done good and faithful servant.”

Finishing well also involves leaving a legacy of godliness. My grandfather and father left one for me and everyone else who knew them, and I want to repeat their example. When the suffering of old age begins to creep in, I want to face it with hope and dignity…and I can when I walk daily in my Savior’s care.

What preparations are you making to finish well?

Prayer: Thank You merciful Father for the years you give us on earth. May we use our time wisely in service to You and others so we can finish well.

Martin N MichelleWhy not share the encouragement? Pass this devotion along to a friend.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! We talk about death with our children and want it to be a topic that is not feared but understood as a passage to some thing greater. Thank you for this post!
    Visting from Rachel Wojo's Whimsical Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete