Monday, March 31, 2014

Centered on God by Martin Wiles

Appearances are all that matters to me; to others exactness is important.

“Does it look like it’s in the middle?” I asked my wife as I held a large mirror in my hand, a nail between my teeth, and a hammer between my knees. “To the right just a fuzz,” was her Southern response. Then “Right there.” So I made a small indentation with the nail, passed the mirror to her, and drove the nail into the Sheetrock. After placing the mirror on the nail, I consulted her again, “Is it straight?” “Move the bottom to the right a little.” I did, and we were finished. We center by eyeballing. Not so when my dad hung paraphernalia. He measured to center and used a leveler to level. Too much trouble for me. Appearances will suffice. After all, who’s going to come into my house and measure to determine if my pictures are centered?

But where it concerns God, centering is more central. He commanded the people of Judah to seek the LORD, the God of their ancestors, and to obey his law and his commands. (II Chronicles 14:4)

Living a life centered on God prepares me to face daily temptations. Just as it’s much easier to hang a picture if I can find a stud to anchor the nail or screw to, so it’s also easier to resist the temptations to rebuff God and please myself when my life is centered around Christ. 

A centered life also results in peace. The pull toward sinful practices is not as intense. I experience peace because I’m doing the proper things. Not only does it bring peace within my own soul but it also leads me to peaceful relationships with my family, friends, co-workers, and casual acquaintances. Peace with myself and others results because my life is centered on God. He becomes the love of my life. 

Are you centering your life on God or on sinful selfish pleasures?

Prayer: Eternal Lord and God, guide our focus to You and Your plans for us. May our every decision and action be made with Your will in mind. 
Martin N Michelle 
Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment