Saturday, March 29, 2014

What Do You Need? by Martin Wiles

“Dad, I need a new pair of shoes.” As I scanned over the pair dangling on my son’s feet, I wondered how he could need a new pair so soon. I saw no holes in the cloth. His toes weren’t pricking the end, nor were his soles protruding through the rubber bottoms. “Why do you need a new pair?” I queried. “I just do,” he replied. As I probed and pointed out the sufficiency of his present shoes, he finally admitted: “Well, all my friends are wearing _________.” (You fill in the blank with the brand.) New shoes weren’t a need; they were a want. So I took the opportunity to explain the difference between a want and a need and also about peer pressure and the danger sometimes involved in following the crowd.

Blind Bartimaeus had a need. So they called the blind man. “Cheer up,” they said. “Come on, he’s calling you!” Bartimaeus threw aside his coat, jumped up, and came to Jesus. “What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked. (Mark 10:49-51 NLT)

Needs are necessary; wants aren’t. A need is something I must have for life to continue; a want is something I imagine will make my life fuller. Jesus has promised that he knows and will meet the needs, but the wants he may or may not. Bartimaeus had a need.

Jesus also wants me to come to him to have my needs satisfied rather than depending on a person or substance. Blind Bartimaeus knew Jesus was the only one who could restore his sight. When I go to Christ with my needs instead of other sources, I acknowledge him as my sole provider.

There are just some things others can’t supply for us that only Jesus can. What is it that you need? And are you going to the right source?

Prayer: Father God, we acknowledge You as the sole provider of every need and want we have. Guide us to trust You rather than other sources. 

Martin N Michelle 
Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.


No comments:

Post a Comment