Saturday, April 5, 2014

When Pigs are More Important by Martin Wiles

Sometimes it’s the little things that make us uncomfortable with God’s presence.

A few times in my life, I’ve owned a handful of pigs. Hog are unusual animals. They can be funny, mean, and dangerous all in a matter of moments. I have an uncle who made a sizable income by raising hogs. For me, it was simply a hobby. I enjoyed their antics and the exercise I received trying to repair what they destroyed. But there was no guaranteed profit from raising them. Prices fluctuated wildly. Pigs were fun but not more important than my regular employment. 

Jesus encountered a group of people to whom pigs were more important. Entering the country of the Gadarenes, he met two demon possessed men. As he healed the men, the demons pleaded to be sent into nearby swine. Jesus obliged, and the pigs ran wildly over a steep bank and drowned in the sea. Instead of rejoicing over the healing, the townspeople invited him to leave. Pigs were more important. Then the entire town came out to meet Jesus, but they begged him to go away and leave them alone. (Matthew 8:34 NLT)

When pigs are more important, it reveals my priorities need attention and more than likely rearranging. Priorities in the right order don’t just happen. Time and energy are involved. What pigs are more important to me is revealed by the light of Jesus as it did with the townspeople. Light doesn’t like darkness. Theirs was a demon infested land. Losing their livelihood was more important than changing their lifestyle.

Change is never comfortable. God’s chart for me often interferes and clashes with my sketch for me. However, his is always superior. I can ask him to leave my area just as the townspeople did, but I’ll never know the peace of freedom if I do. 

Have you asked Jesus to leave an area of your life because you like the pigs better? 

Prayer: Father, we ask You to cleanse us from all things that hinder us from realizing Your perfect plan. 

Begin each day with a dose of encouraging thoughts. Order your print or Kindle copy today from Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment