Monday, August 18, 2014

Where Did God Come From? by Martin Wiles

Series: Hey God…I Have a Question

Though my father died more than five years ago, vestiges of his presence remain. As I stroll through my house and my mom’s house, I can see his imprints. The sound of his voice has almost faded from my memory, but observable things he left behind keep his memory alive. On one of my bookcases rests a clock whose cabinet was forged by his hands. Almost every bookcase I own, he assembled. On many of his later projects are stamped the words, “Made by Buddy Wiles.” He constructed my mom’s entire bedroom suit. In her kitchen is a tiny what not shelf he formed when he was a high schooler in Shop class. All of these items had a creator. His hands worked diligently. Wood was measured, cut, and assembled. Rough spots were sanded. Varnish and stain were applied. 

When God instructed Moses to lead the Israelites out of Egyptian slavery, Moses asked, If I go to the people of Israel and tell them, “The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,” they will ask me, “What is his name?” Then what should I tell them? God’s reply was, Say this to the people of Israel: I AM has sent me to you. (Exodus 3:13, 14 NLT)

Every physical item and every human body I observe has or had a creator. The creator of the item may be long gone, but there was one. Thousand year old artifacts had a creator. These creators had a beginning and an end. With God, the story changes. He is “I Am.” He is what he is and what he will be. He proclaims himself as “The Alpha and the Omega” (Revelation 22:13). He was the beginning, and he will be the end. There was nothing before him, and no force or person created him. 

Believing that someone came from nowhere takes a step of faith—as does many other things the Bible teaches about God. I can’t understand or explain it, but I must believe he was before all things and will remain after all things. He simply was, is, and will be.

Prayer: Thank You Father for the beauty You have created, for the power You exude, and for the Love You freely give. 

Have you read Lee Strobel's, The Case for a Creator?
  

Enter to win a free copy of my newest book, Grits & Grace & God. Visit the following link and sign up: https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/99040-grace-grits-god-manna-from-heaven-served-up-southern-style

1 comment:

  1. The memories of your father still linger all around us and what a great servant of God he was .He impacted the lives of many churches and congregations.

    ReplyDelete