Saturday, April 18, 2015

It’s a Family Thing - Martin Wiles

So now Jesus and the ones he makes holy have the same Father. That is why Jesus is not ashamed to call them his brothers and sisters. Hebrews 2:11 NLT

I have two. One came nine years after my birth, and the other around two years later. Since I was nine when my first brother was born, I cared for him in limited ways that gave Mom and Dad a break. He and my younger brother were always good buddies since they were close in age. As they grew older, my middle brother and I became good friends and enjoyed common interests and activities. My younger brother and I share little in common except heritage. Nevertheless, they are my blood relatives, and this in itself molds a common bond between us.  

Jesus had brothers and sisters. On one instance, his family sought him out thinking he had gone crazy. As they stood outside the house where he was teaching and requested to see him, Jesus told the crowd that anyone who followed him was his family. Through the sacrifice of Christ, those who receive him are made holy—not in practice but positionally in the eyes of God. When God adopts us into his family, we become brothers and sisters of Christ and in Christ. We join the family and receive all of the family benefits—and challenges. 

I remember occasions when my brothers fought with each other, tearing up Mom’s living room in the process. This went on until they were in their late teens. I thought they were acting stupid, but, then again, I probably did some dim-witted things along the way as well. Yet my brothers remained close. They hung together. After all, they were family. They shared common blood that ran through their veins. 

All who have received Christ as Savior are also part of a large family. Our looks vary, we come from various cultures, we sometimes fight and act stupid, we might occasionally even betray each other, but we all share common blood and are on the same mission. The blood of Jesus, shed for the forgiveness of our sins, runs through our veins, and the call to share his love haunts our every move. I must love them all. After all, it’s a family thing. 

Have you joined the family and begun the mission? 

Prayer: Thank You God for giving us a common bond in Jesus Christ. 

______________________________


Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment