Saturday, April 11, 2015

Use the Escape Route - Martin Wiles

So what makes us think we can escape if we ignore this great salvation that was first announced by the Lord Jesus himself and then delivered to us by those who heard him speak? Hebrews 2:3 NLT

He was a new dad, she was a new mom, and I was the firstborn who had the advantage—or disadvantage, of experiencing all the things new parents do with their firstborn. One thing my dad did was instigate a practice fire drill. He gave Mom and me the preferable escape route but then provided an alternate one as well. If I couldn’t get out of my room, I was to use the baseball bat he placed by my window to burst the window and climb outside. Breaking a leg, ankle, or arm was better than getting burned. 

First century Christians had heard of Jesus. Perhaps some had even met him. When they were presented with the opportunity to accept him, many did. Now they were considering drifting back into their old patterns of living. Some had never drifted into the new pattern of living to begin with. For them, there was no other hope.  

Dad had an escape route available in case our house caught on fire. He knew I’d need to get out to escape injury or death. God knows I need an escape route as well from spiritual burns. The difference is that Dad established alternate escape routes. If the hallway was on fire, I could burst the window and jump. If I could get into the hallway, I had two doors to choose from, depending on where the fire was. Not so with salvation. All religions are not equal. There are not many routes to God. It does matter what I think about Jesus. 

Just as I would have to put forth effort to escape the fire, so I must if I’m to connect to God. Simply knowing what Jesus did on the cross isn’t sufficient. Confession and repentance of my sins is required if I’m to evade the spiritual and eternal death that waits for me otherwise. 

Taking action to avoid a potential fire would result in life. When I confess my sins, Jesus promises to forgive them and grant me eternal life, which begins now. 

Have you used the escape route God has prepared?

Prayer: Thank You merciful Father for preparing an escape route from the danger of our sins.

______________________________


Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines. Share this devotion with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment