Saturday, May 9, 2015

Playing Hide n Seek with God - Martin Wiles

Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable. Hebrews 4:13 NLT

One, two, three…twenty. Ready or not, here I come. Hide n Seek is one of those children’s games that remains popular in spite of technological advances. I played it when I was a child in the 1960’s and 50 plus years later children still enjoy it. What makes it so tantalizing is puzzling. Perhaps it’s the adrenaline rush that comes from hiding in some concealed place while at the same time not being able to see the person searching for you. Or the surprise and fright that comes with being suddenly discovered when you didn’t know you were about to be. 

The above verse hadn’t been written when Adam and Eve were created and fell into sin. Had it been, they could have saved themselves some trouble by trying to hide physically from God and by trying to cover their awareness of sin. Elijah tried hiding in a cave, Gideon in a winepress, and Jonah in the belly of a great fish. 

Anytime I willfully sin and don’t confess it, I’m attempting to hide from God…in the darkness…where I think no one sees. My actions are illogical and foolish since God sees all—actions that occur in the darkness and the light. The irrational nature of sin leads me to such stupidity. How foolish to think that the creature can hide from the Creator. Others are the only ones I can hide my sin from, and even this is touchy since my sins normally involve others. 

Satan rules the kingdom of darkness. By sinning, I’m hiding in his territory which is all about underhanded, ungodly, and selfish acts. Darkness doesn’t like light just as the one found doesn’t enjoy having the flashlight shone on them. It means they’ve been discovered. 

The good news is that God still loves me even when I occasionally try to hide in the darkness. In spite of my many attempts to conceal my sin from him, he still invites me to confess and be found. Are there ways in which you are trying to hide from God?

Prayer: Father God, thank You for seeking us when we try to hide from Your light and truth.

 ______________________________


Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment