Friday, July 17, 2015

Are There Squirrels in Your House? - Norma Gail Thurston Holtman

Do not move an ancient boundary stone set up by your forefathers. Proverbs 22:28

It could have been a catastrophic mistake. I failed to close the screen door of our mountain home. When my husband came in several hours later, he saw the door open and a big squirrel sitting on the door step.

Of course I have been teased mercilessly. I’m constantly telling people to close the doors or we’ll have squirrels in the house. Fortunately the curious little fellow did not come in and neither did any of his friends.

I’ve heard stories of the terrible way squirrels wreak havoc in people’s homes. They’re very wily and difficult to catch. They chew things and steal things and make a mess of everything. 

Screen doors serve as boundaries to protect us from a lot of pests and varmints. Without them we couldn’t be free from the worry of unwanted visitors and enjoy the fresh breeze bringing in the wonderful scents of our mountain surroundings. 

In the same way, God’s word places boundaries in our lives, providing us with the protection we need from things that have the power to destroy our lives and rob us of the blessings of obedience.

Just as I warn my family of the dangers of squirrels in the house, God’s word reminds us of the dangers of allowing things like unclean thoughts, wrong attitudes, bad habits, and temptations of the enemy into our lives. 

The enemy sneaks in when we remove God’s boundaries and whispers things like, “Just this once won’t hurt,” and “If you’re careful no one will find out.” Those little lapses become habits and one day someone discovers the havoc in our private life. Everything we have worked for is in jeopardy.

It is necessary for me to hide the word of God in my heart on a daily basis so sins don’t creep in and destroy all I’ve been blessed with. I hear His voice warning me to keep the boundaries where He set them. I don’t want those bad habits creeping in any more than I want squirrels in my house.

I must close any doors in my life that allow bad habits to enter. Keep the boundaries where God sets them and see His blessings.

Norma Gail’s debut contemporary Christian romance, Land of My Dreams—set in Scotland and New Mexico, released in April 2014. She has led weekly women’s Bible studies for 19 years. Her devotionals and poetry have appeared at Christian Devotions, the Stitches Thru Time blog, and in “The Secret Place.” She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers, FaithWriters, and the New Mexico Christian Novelists. She is a former RN who lives in the mountains of New Mexico with her husband of 38 years. They have two adult children.

 ______________________________


Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment