Saturday, September 19, 2015

At the Front of the Line - Martin Wiles

Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else. Mark 9:35 NLT

With a smirky smile, he looked at us and said, “We’ve been waiting in line too.”

My family and I were attending a Christian concert. In the center of the entrance hallway was a desk for ticket pick up. Crowds of people who had their tickets mulled around with seemingly no organization. We made our way to the desk and then through the line—trying to get to a table where my mother could sit until the doors opened.

As we passed one gentlemen—who obviously thought we were trying to get ahead of him, he reminded us we needed to wait in line as he was doing. I had no time to rebuke his “Christian” attitude; I simply kept moving. But when the doors opened and the people began pouring in, I made sure he observed me staying behind him. I wasn’t about to break Jesus’ last first rule.

Even Jesus’ closest followers had trouble with the last first rule. As the little band of men made their way to Capernaum, they discussed which of them was the greatest. When they’d settled in the house where they would stay, Jesus confronted their prideful attitudes.

Pride is one of Satan’s greatest temptations. Eve had a dose of it. She thought she knew better than God when it came to eating fruit. Thousands of years later, I frequently think the same thing. By observing my world, I perceive many others do as well. Unfortunately, this jostling of who’s the greatest is even found among God’s people as it was with the disciples. 

The Bible says humility is the better quality. I’m not to think too much of myself, but neither am I to think less of myself than I should. In Christ, I can do all things. I’m a masterpiece in the making, but the key is “in Christ.” When I humble myself before him, he will exalt me at the right time and at the right place. 

How can you rebuke pride in your life and observe Jesus’ first last principle. 

Prayer: Father, enable us to humble ourselves before You and others. 

365 daily thoughts that will lift your spirit and move you toward your God-designed goal. Get it on Kindle. Click here to order. 








Come Empty – Pour Out Life’s Hurts and Receive God’s Healing Love. Use coupon MWiles for a 20% discount. To order, click here








Thanks to all our faithful followers who are "sharing" our posts--please keep it up! We also invite you to follow and like us on FacebookPinterest, and Twitter. Help us spread God's encouragement through his love lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment